Saturday, February 8, 2014

Forgotten Chicken

Forgotten Chicken


This is my all time favorite, number one, first choice, bestest, loveliest, most deliciousliest meal. It’s so good I had to make up adjectives for it. :)  No exaggeration, this is MY personal favorite meal.  Growing up this was the meal that I requested for every birthday, or actually any day when my mom asked my opinion on dinner.   And I’m pretty sure she was okay with it since it consists of five ingredients and takes about 5 minutes to put together.  (six if you count water.) It is certainly not fancy or exotic (and I’m aware that this isn’t the most healthy meal) but just plain good ol’ comfort food and warm yummy goodness.  I will say that if you are looking for that super-pow recipe that hits you with all its flavors and knocks your taste buds unconscious…this is not it.  I mean come on, it has five ingredients.  But if you want a big dish of simple, good home cooking then give this a try.  I personally think it is the best.
Forgotten Chicken
The ingredients:
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, minute rice, 1 pkg. onion soup mix, can of cream of chicken soup, can of cream of celery soup, water.
Mix together “cream of” soups, 1 can of water, and 2 cups of minute rice (uncooked.)  Pour into a buttered casserole dish.
Lay chicken breasts on top of rice mixture and sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Cover with tin foil. Don’t forget that important step!
(My dad hates onions so a lot of the time my mom would just mix the onion soup in with the rice.  I guess out of sight, out of mind?  Either way works.)
Here is where the name Forgotten Chicken comes in.  Once you have it in the casserole dish you can put it in the oven and forget it!  My mom would always put it in on a low temp. (around 250-275) before we left for church and when we got home three hours later it would be ready.  Or you can cook it at 350-375 (depending on your oven) for one to one and a half hours.   It is hard to mess up so if you forget it is in there don’t worry, it is probably still okay!
The rice on the outside edges should be slightly browned and crispy and the rice on the inside soft and moist.  Serve with a side salad and a nice big slice of bread and you have yourself one tasty meal.  It’s my favorite!  (in case I haven’t mentioned that enough times in this post.)
***Update*** Many people have left comments or sent emails with their concerns over the sodium or MSG in the soups used in this recipe.  I understand, I get it.  As I mentioned, as much as I LOVE this recipe, we don’t eat it every single week.  And if you don’t want to eat it at all, guess what…you don’t have too!  That is the great news.  You can decide what you do and do not want to eat in your OWN house.  For me this is a delicious, easy meal that we will enjoy once in awhile along with plenty of healthy, clean food.  Another tip:  Whole Foods has “cream of soups” that are MSG free and are a great alternative.  There are also lots of recipes out on the web for substitute “cream of soup” so find whatever works for your family and enjoy!

Download the PDF Recipe

Brieanna

No comments:

Post a Comment